CrimeTop News

Police Rescue Two Women From Mob Lynching in Uyo

...Take Custody of Prime Suspect

The quick intervention by the Akwa Ibom State Police Command saved the lives of two women as they were almost killed by a mob in Uyo, the state capital, on Tuesday, May 19, 2026.

According to DSP Timfon John, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), in a press release made available to journalists in Uyo, the ugly incident occurred at about 0945hrs along Ring Road 3, Uyo, where an irate mob stripped two women naked, brutally assaulted them, and attempted to subject them to unlawful execution over allegations yet to be verified by lawful authorities.

The Police, while condemning the action as barbaric, degrading, and unlawful, said the mob attack carried out against the two women in Uyo was a savage act of criminality and lawlessness and a direct assault on human dignity and the rule of law.

“The Command warns that any person found participating in mob action, jungle justice, public assault, torture, or any form of extrajudicial violence will be decisively dealt with in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” she said.

The PPRO stated that “the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Health, Dr Ekem Emmanuel John, who witnessed the horrifying scene while on his way to the office, immediately took courageous and patriotic steps to save the victims by alerting the Police after observing that one of the women had already sustained severe injuries and was bleeding profusely.

Read Also: 2025: Akwa Ibom Police Command Counts Multiple Successes in Crime Management

“Upon receipt of the distress call, operatives of the Command swiftly mobilised to the scene, dispersed the violent crowd, rescued the victims from imminent danger, and rushed them to a medical facility where they are currently receiving treatment and responding positively to medical care.”

DSP John said following immediate intelligence-driven action and preliminary investigation, a suspect identified as Emediong Robert, male, 22 years, of Ikot Ekwere, Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area, was arrested at the scene for actively inciting the mob and allegedly calling for the execution of the victims during the violent attack.

She added that the Commissioner of Police, CP Baba Mohammed Azare, fsi, has ordered a comprehensive manhunt for every individual connected to the shameful act, vowing that all perpetrators, sponsors, and accomplices involved in the attempted mob killing will be identified, arrested, and prosecuted without delay.

“The Commissioner of Police stressed that Akwa Ibom State will not be turned into a jungle where criminal mobs brutalise citizens at will under any guise whatsoever.

“He warned that the Police Command will invoke the full weight of the law against persons engaging in acts capable of threatening public peace, safety, and security.

“He further emphasised that no allegation against any individual justifies public humiliation, torture, assault, or attempted murder, noting that every suspect remains innocent until proven guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction.

“The Command highly commends the prompt intervention, humanity, and exemplary sense of civic responsibility displayed by Dr Ekem Emmanuel John, whose swift action undoubtedly saved the lives of the victims.”

The PPRO advised members of the public to desist from taking the law into their hands and instead report suspected offenders to the nearest Police Station or other relevant security agencies for lawful investigation and prosecution.

“The Akwa Ibom State Police Command remains fully committed to protecting lives and property and will continue to ensure that law, order, justice, and civility prevail across the State,” she added.

Related Articles

Back to top button